How do you keep your mouth healthy? Do you know that preventive Oak Park dentistry plays a crucial role in maintaining your oral health? Preventive dentistry consists of practices that aim to protect your teeth and gums against cavities, tooth decay, and periodontal disease.
These practices range from education to providing treatments that help you achieve and maintain optimum oral health. When you take good care of your oral health at a young age, your future self will thank you for it. Don’t worry. It’s never too late to make some changes.
Understanding Preventive Dentistry
What Are the Different Preventive Dentistry Treatment Plans Offered?
Preventive dentistry is a combination of regular dental checkups coupled with consistent good oral hygiene practices. Caring for your teeth and gums is a lifelong commitment. This starts from the moment your first tooth erupts and continues throughout your life. Routine x-rays, professional teeth cleanings, and regular oral exams (usually once every six months) are all part of preventive dental care.
What is Your Responsibility in Preventive Dental Care?
Yes, your dentist can help improve your oral health, but most of the work is up to you. Individuals who practice healthy dental habits at a young age have a significantly lower chance of developing oral health issues. The following are preventive basics you should practice at home.
Brushing is a non-negotiable. If you want to have healthy teeth and gums, you should strive to brush your teeth at least twice a day – once in the morning and the second before bedtime. Check your toothbrush if the bristles are soft.
Dentists recommend you use a soft-bristled toothbrush since it’s gentle on your teeth and does not cause premature enamel erosion. Hard-bristled toothbrushes will not just erode your enamel, but can also result in gum recession.
Flossing will help remove food particles in between your teeth. If these aren’t removed they can turn into harmful plaque. You should be flossing at least once daily following the techniques recommended by your dentist.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash to keep bacteria under control.
- Limit your consumption of acidic food and drinks since acid can cause your enamel to soften and erode.
- Be mindful of the food you eat, especially hard foods like pits, seeds, and candies, as these can potentially fracture and chip your teeth.
- If you smoke, you should consider quitting. Did you know that smoking tobacco will not only harm your lungs, but will also lead to oral cancer?
- When playing rough sports, don’t forget to wear a mouth guard to protect your teeth and gums.
- If you suffer from bruxism, let your dentist know about it. Dentists usually recommend you wear a mouth guard to prevent pain and chipped teeth.
Do You Need Preventive Oak Park Dentistry?
At One Fine Smile, our goal is to let our patients feel comfortable and relaxed during their visit. We offer a stress-free and comfortable environment with our spa-inspired dental office. We also provide the latest in technology and a wonderful staff. Give us a call to learn more about our services.